The season of love is here. People are rushing around trying to find the perfect gift for their loved ones. Some opting for the traditional flowers and chocolate. While I have nothing against high-quality/healthy chocolate, I think that it is important that we re-focus some of that energy inward. This rushing around paired with the ongoing pandemic has contributed to increased stress and anxiety in daily living. So what if instead of rushing around, we took some time to SLOW DOWN and re-focus on our health, well-being, and self-love? Maybe you feel like you have a good self-care routine or maybe you can’t remember the last time you re-evaluated the ways that you show yourself you matter. Here are some suggestions for falling in love with yourself again:
- Schedule some alone time. Alone time is essential for us to be able to hear our own voice, which communicates what you really need and want. Taking the time to listen, really listen to yourself is a tremendous act of self-love.
- Write yourself a love message on the mirror and read it daily until it is time for a new message. Some examples include: I am worthy, I am beautiful, I’ve got this, I radiate light.
- Take care of your body. Start a conversation with your body and ask it what it needs the most right now. Believe it or not our bodies talk to us on a daily basis whether that be considered good or bad. Some ideas include increase water intake, soak in Epsom salt, get a massage (if money is tight) give a self-massage, go see your chiropractor, stretch out tired muscles, or simply rest.
- Compliment yourself at least once per day and include specifics about what you love about yourself. Positive self-talk can enhance our feel-good neurotransmitters! This may initially feel awkward, but it gets easier the more you do it!
- Celebrate yourself! You don’t need a reason why other than you being authentically, beautifully you
- Treat yourself to something that brings you joy! This could be an adventure, a delicious dinner, a little spa time, a well-needed hike, or anything else your heart desires.